Sunday, August 2, 2009

Tango Cafe Dance Studio

While I was in New York, I took photos for a constantly-on-the-go couple who own and operate their own dance studio downtown. They wanted new images for their company's website, so I got to walk around their gorgeous space.

As someone who loves architecture and historic buildings, I couldn't help but inquire about it -- the ballroom was that amazing. Kerri was happy to pass along as much as she knew. Apparently the third-floor space has only been used for dance since it was built in the late 1890s. The wood beams on the vaulted ceiling had been painted green, and the owner painstakingly stripped them back to natural wood.

It was worth it.

Later, Ruben and Kerri came to my studio for headshots, but I couldn't let two dancers leave without doing a few steps. They were so much fun to work with.


DSC_2240


DSC_2116


DSC_2141


DSC_1660


DSC_2252


DSC_2275


group

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these picutres- the dark background really provides a great contrast in the dancing shots!beautiful!

the_plainsman said...

A "fun couple" to learn dance comes through in your photos.

A very interesting studio ballroom with a cool history. Around here, it would have changed uses a dozen times and probably been torn down by now!

Ray said...

I love that first dance shot and the last sequence dance shot. ;o)

Jennifer Suarez said...

So lovely and full of movement. I think you did an excellent job capturing their essence!