Wednesday, September 2, 2009

We left smelling of popcorn, grilled meat and animal excrement

Jerry and I took Allison to one of the last surviving encampment fairs in the country. I wouldn't ever want to stay overnight, but thousands of people do for an entire week, in tent plots passed down from generation to generation.

We just go for the fried dough.


DSC_1113-2.jpg
Lamb butts.


DSC_1115-2.jpg
Allison got to pet her first cow.


DSC_1125-2.jpg
Moo.


DSC_1128-2.jpg


DSC_1130-2.jpg


DSC_1136-2.jpg


DSC_1145-2.jpg
Alli wanted to pet this piglet badly enough to stretch.


DSC_1156-2.jpg
This guy was ornary. But his monkey was adorable.


DSC_1162-2.jpg
Is it bad that I lied about Alli's age by 3 months to get her on this ride?


DSC_1166-2.jpg
But that huge grin is why I did it.


DSC_1176-2.jpg
She asked to go on it repeatedly four times.

3 comments:

Ray said...

I LOVE that photo of you and Allison looking at the cow. =D And I love that photo of Allison trying to get to the piglet. I don't think it's wrong at all that you lied about Alli's age. After all it's only 3 months. That smile is always worth it. ;o)

the_plainsman said...

These are the times when Allison's lifetime of memories are beginning to form. She won't remeber the specifics yet, but a few mental snapshots in time will begin to linger forever now.

I loved the agricultural fairs my parents took me to, not for the rides, which could be had anywhere, but the animals of my story books, come to life, to touch and even smell - so real! And the big tractors!

The photo of you two together, sharing the joy of the admittedly photogenic cow (also shown) is my favorite here, too.

Lioncloud said...

More? More? More? More? More?

Glrr