Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The price of success

I’m sure it hasn’t gone unnoticed that I haven’t been able to blog lately. My days are so unbelievably crazy that I’ve had to make a few tough decisions and set some priorities.

I am basically working two full-time jobs now.

My business has taken off in ways I only dreamed of, and I have a constant workload to balance — photo sessions, toning and uploading images, corresponding with clients, marketing, corresponding with my ad reps, ordering prints, maintaining my website and all of the other little things that arise from day to day.

Like painting the dressing room at 2 in the morning because that’s the only time I have to do it.

So, as you can imagine, I have very little time to myself. So little that I cherish my shower every afternoon like it’s a precious commodity. Well, the ones I’m able to take without Allison dancing around at my feet, anyway.

But through all of it, I’m having a blast. I love my work, and I’m thrilled that everyone who has had a session with me raves about the results.

I have so many photos to share, I could easily do 10 blog posts. There are tons of Jerryisms I haven’t written down. And I’ve found myself telling Allison she has to stop doing so many adorable things because I can’t possibly cram them all into this month’s letter. Which I need to write by Thursday. Right.

I’ve pushed myself to extremes before, but this is a new level. I’ve always thrived under deadlines and pressure — perhaps why I felt drawn to journalism in the first place — so I’m just going with it.

Starting my own business has proven very demanding, but it was definitely one of the best decisions I’ve made in my entire life.

For those of you who have been reading for a long time, this will ring a bell. I started this blog shortly before opening a fortune cookie that read, “Write and the answer will come to you.”

And I’d like to think that it did. This blog has forged many friendships (and subsequent advice), it led to a newspaper column, and allowed me to make sense of many difficult times in the past few years that I otherwise never would have.

I taped that fortune to the top of my computer monitor.

Now I have a new laptop.

And just last week, I opened a fortune that read: “The skills you have gathered will one day come in handy.”

That day has come. And they are.

Now I just need to tape it up.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that everything is going splendidly for you. I do miss your blogging though :( I cannot wait to see some more photos that you've taken!

Alina said...

As a long time reader I am thrilled of your success and look forward to seeing your many pictures =)

the_plainsman said...

A wonderful post to read, though I sort of expected to see it after the "twit-note" on the right a few days back! Write when you are able, but as those skills provided the key, important to always keep them honed. It's the mental regimen that enables the mind to be able to act on those dreams, to make them a reality. As your experience has showed, even if one does not have the map yet. Priorities? Jerry. Allison. Yes, Toby, too. Jobs # 1 and 2. Of course. But make sure that you never stop nurturing your own being too. Besides that shower, always the writing. Even if for no one else. But yourself.

Fit Mama said...

I could tell you were super busy because you haven't been posting! I do hope to at least get to read monthly Allison letters :)

Sarah said...

I missed you! I'm glad to hear that your business is doing well, and I look forward to new pictures and Jerryisms! (And of course Allisonisms!)

Jennifer Suarez said...

I'm so happy things are going so well, even though it makes for a lot of craziness. I've been reading you for YEARS and I'm glad that all your dreams are coming true. Congrats sweetie, you deserve it.

Ray said...

"Well, the ones I’m able to take without Allison dancing around at my feet, anyway."

^^Hahaha! I loved that. =D

I've missed you writing but I realize how incredibly busy you are. I just want to thank you for taking the time out to do so anyhow. You're awesome. And it sounds like you're SUPER WOMAN with all that you do everyday!! I envy that you well work under deadlines and pressure; that's a gift you have there.

It's amazing when things like fortune cookies read so true into our lives. I guess it's the universe's way of telling us that, "we're not alone."

I hope one day to see your work in magazines (or to see you on television even). ;o)

Take care, Kelly.

LeslieAnn said...

Remember about a year or so ago when you were writing about how tired and stressed out you were, learning how to be a working mother? Look where you are now compared to that. You are amazing! You're rocking the mom thing and doing a kick-ass job at bringing in some bank. You're my hero. :D

Anonymous said...

Enjoy this time. And when you have a few spare minutes (after the treasured showers of course!) i hope you still have the time to blog occasionally. i too have been reading for years and am pretty inspired by what you are doing.
Good luck!

Heidi said...

I am so glad that you have found not one, but two jobs that you love. As much as I miss the more-frequent blogs it truly inspires me to see you working so hard for your dreams, in every aspect of your life. Plus, I do love looking at the photographs you take!