Sunday, February 7, 2010

Just about as random a post as you can get

Because I'm long overdue for an update, I don't know where to start. The bridal expo was incredible. It was a ton of work and definitely triggered a massive meltdown complete with uncontrollable sobbing, but I still say it was worth it. Most of the stress came from trying to do too much in too short of a time span on very little sleep, but I was very proud of our booth and the response we got. I booked two weddings on the spot, two more the following day and have a lot more pending.

I'm going to do it all over again this Saturday in the other city in my area. But this time I won't be rushing to finalize last-minute details. Everything is done and ready to go.

I also just wrapped up all of my January portrait sessions and don't have any more scheduled until March, so I took advantage of the downtime and cleaned my house. I can't express to you the level of gross that had been lurking in the corners. I didn't notice because it's hard to see past all of the kid clutter. But when I got on my hands and knees with the vacuum and started dusting the floorboards? Well, lets just say I needed to take allergy medication for the following three days. The dust gorillas put up a good fight.

Once I was on a roll, I just went with it. By the time I was done, I had moved every major piece of furniture. I should've taken a picture of what I found under the couch. It was a three-course meal and toy graveyard. Allison cheered like a drunk football fan when she saw all the loot. Blocks. Cards. Balls. Crayons. Stickers. Jumbo Rice Krispies. Craisins. Petrified grapes. Nasty.

To say I needed the week off from the photo business is an understatement.

But yesterday I took photos just for us. I didn't use my fancy camera or flash. I didn't worry about shooting in RAW or what my ISO settings were on. I just took pictures.

We got hit by the storm Obama jokingly titled "Snowmaggedon." The National Weather Service said it was the worst on record for our city. It closed malls and dumped more than 24 inches in some spots of the county, but man did we have fun at our house.

DSC_0551.JPG
Wishing we had a snowblower.


DSC_0568.JPG
Bombs away!


DSC_0583
Next it was Alli's turn.


DSC_0592.JPG
Then Jer's.


DSC_0594.JPG
Toby couldn't contain himself.


DSC_0600.JPG
He would completely disappear in the deepest parts.


DSC_0626.JPG
Later we got out the sled and took a walk.


DSC_0653.JPG
Hey ... wait a minute ...


DSC_0656.JPG
THAT'S MYYYYY SLED!


DSC_0662.JPG
And all is right with the world.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've missed the photoblogs you'd post of your family!

The snow looks so lovely. I hope you're enjoying your downtime :)

Janice said...

Those are great photos! We got hit with the snow as well, but it wasn't nearly as bad here in Ohio. Snow pictures are always great, and it's a wonderful way to get away from things (like your business, as you said). Thanks for the update!

Ray said...

Great photos as always! Now that's what I call a, "Snow Day!" So cool. We only got a little snow (as was evident yesterday as I was getting in the car and saw a patch of snow around a tree) but now it's all gone. We never get much, so whenever the weather reporter says we're getting a snowstorm our way I'm like: "Yeah, yeah...that's for Pennsylvania." LOL! =P But I'm glad you guys got to enjoy the snow with Alli (Toby too) and that you had that MUCH NEEDED week off.

Have fun at your next expo and good luck! ;D

Mia said...

Aww, I'm so glad you had time to post - I've been waiting and waiting! I'm glad everything has been going well (despite the breakdown), and I loved seeing the family snowy fun pictures, especially since Toby was included!
I couldn't help but laugh at the one of Allison crying and then not minding at all that Toby was standing on her since she at least got to be in the sled.

Anonymous said...

yay i've missed these kinds of posts. :)

Kristin said...

Aww :')
So glad you posted.
I would come on here everyday like WHERE. IS. BLOG.
lmao.

The Plainsman said...

Good to hear everything is going great with the business, the rare meltdown a good release and a reminder that the belief that we are in total control is just another illusion, lol! Loved the contrast of that with when Alli realized she was but, for a brief moment, not in control of her sled world, either! And Toby is still the coolest of dogs - if he had a cartoon strip, no doubt he could give ol'e Snoopy a run for his money.

Anonymous said...

awesome post!!! much needed for all your biggest fans.
loffe us

LeslieAnn said...

OMG the snow! The crazy, crazy snow! We don't really get snow in D.C. so to have three feet plus the 10-20 inches we're getting tomorrow is incredible! Glad you all had fun in it. It took my boyfriend and I an hour and a half together this morning just to dig my car out of our parking lot. No driveway - just getting my car out of the parking lot. It was insane.